May 22, 2017 - Comments Off on Do you know how to choose a rehabilitation center, specific to your needs?
After being discharged from inpatient or home health therapy you will be faced with many new, challenging decisions, most importantly: What is next?
Knowing where to turn to for rehabilitation and support after a life-changing neurological injury or illness can be a daunting task. Outpatient therapy is a crucial part in recovery after stroke, spinal cord injury and other neurological diagnosis. Choosing the rehab center that fits your needs is one of the most important decisions you will make during your recovery.
So, how exactly do you choose the right rehabilitation center?
Here are some important questions that will help guide your decision:
- Does the rehab facility provide treatment specific to your diagnosis?
- Are the treating therapists skilled, specialized, certified and highly experienced with your diagnosis?
- Does the facility offer a variety of treatment techniques (such as neuromuscular electrical stimulation, splinting/casting, or equipment/tools/technology, etc.) specific to your needs.
- Does the rehab facility have a formal system for evaluating progress?
- How does the rehab facility assure high-quality care?
- Are staff members required to keep up with new information and technology about neurological rehabilitation? How do they do so?
- Does the rehab facility teach family and caregivers on specific programs to be able to perform them at home in addition to therapy?
“There is increasing evidence that rehabilitation can have a big impact on survivors’ quality of life, so the time is right to review the evidence in this complex field and highlight effective and important aspects of rehabilitation,” said Carolee J. Winstein, Ph.D., lead author of the scientific statement published in the May 2016 issue of the American Heart Association Journal Stroke.
Take charge of choosing the right rehab facility. Make sure you discuss your options with your healthcare team and use the questions above to guide you as you find the information you need to make the best decision for your family.
If you would like to discuss your needs, the team at The Neuro Hub would be happy to assist you.
We created a free checklist to assist you in finding the right facility. Sign up below for the free checklist download.
All content provided on this blog is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Reliance on any information provided by The Neuro Hub website is solely at your own risk.
Published by: the neuro hub in The Neuro Hub - News